Basic CERT Training begins April 2, 2014 and will run on Wednesday evenings through May. Training is free-of-charge and open to anyone age 18 or older in the region. No prior training required. Classes will be held at Mansfield Community Center, Mansfield, CT. Pre-register with Dagmar Noll at 860-456-2221 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Basic & Advanced CERT Training in Connecticut's Windham Region
In the event of a severe emergency or disaster, it may be many hours or even days before emergency responders can assist you. Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training can teach you to help yourself, your family, your neighbors, and your community prepare for and respond to such an event.
Basic and advanced training opportunities, as well as related meeting notices, will be posted in the calendar.
Basic CERT Training consists of 23 hours of in-class and hands-on training. Participants are trained to:
- identify and reduce potential fire hazards in their homes and workplaces;
- apply basic fire suppression strategies, resources, and safety measures;
- apply techniques for opening airways, controlling bleeding, and treating shock;
- conduct triage under simulated conditions;
- select and set up a treatment area;
- employ basic treatments for various wounds;
- identify planning and sizeup requirements for potential search and rescue situations;
- use safe techniques for debris removal and victim extraction;
Individuals completing the CERT training may be affiliated with a team formed through a neighborhood association, a private business, a municipality, a school, or a nonprofit association.
- IS-317, an on-line introduction to CERT (6-8 hours)
- Participant's Manual
- Animal Response Supplements
- On-line Search & Rescue Tutorial
Local CERT Instructors
- Marc Scrivener, Deputy Fire Chief, Willimantic Fire Department
- Pete Smat, Firefighter, Willimantic Fire Department
- Roger Benham, Wilderness First Responder
- Anne Strate, EMT
- Rusty Lanzit, CERT Graduate
- Tammie Meyers, CERT Graduate
- Ewan Mark, CERT Graduate
- Dagmar Noll, CERT Graduate
Guest speakers have included local firefighters, paramedics, American Red Cross volunteers, psychologists, social workers, and HAM radio operators.
Graduates of Basic CERT Training are encouraged to take National Incident Management IS-700 (Introduction to NIMS), IS-100 (Introduction to Incident Command System), and IS-200 (Incident Command System for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents), all available on-line. Graduates joining teams are required to take NIMS IS-700 and IS-100.
Beyond the NIMS training, each CERT sets its own requirements and recommendations for advanced training. Past training has included American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid and American Red Cross Shelter Operations training.